Wednesday, September 14, 2011

 I found a letter in the bottom of and old desk. The desk had been abandon, there wasn’t much left of it. But what do you expect when its out in the middle of the desert getting covered with bird shit. I pulled out a drawer, I was looking for firewood, kindling, something. The drawer was kind of stuck so I yanked, it came out shattering like I had hit it with a semi truck. When I looked inside where the drawer came from i found a picture. The picture was black and white, it looked ancient. The woman in the picture looked young, maybe in her twenties, probably just married, just graduated, something. Then I saw a scrap of paper in the drawer hole, it was old, brittle, I thought it would turn to dust if I wasn’t careful. This is what the paper said:

I buried you in the old oak grove
for the trees to have your bones,
to make their leaves.
So I could see you again.

And the bedroom floor looks like autumn,
if leaves were pictures.
Yellow streaks and dark smears, from age.
Just how you left us.

Sometimes I stair at the sky,
hoping to hear you call my name.
But its always cold wind blowing through my hair.

In the graveyard past all the unmarked graves,
I'll wait for you.
I'll wait for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment